Add to Contacts
Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
Dram Shop Liability
Real Estate Litigation
See a detailed summary of our recent litigation and trial experience.
Charles D. Onofry
Chuck Onofry has practiced complex tort and commercial litigation for more than 25 years and tried or arbitrated more than 100 cases.
"I believe in providing clients with frank advice on the risks of litigation and trial, including our perspective on settlement. While settlement is essential to risk management, it is most advantageous when the opposition knows that the client and opposing attorney have no fear of going to trial. I relish the challenge of a difficult case before a jury and am very comfortable taking my cases to trial."
A Certified Specialist in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death (Arizona Board of Legal Specialization), Chuck Onofry practices extensively in the areas of:
Chuck is an elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an organization that requires members to have been lead counsel in 20 or more jury trials. He frequently lectures on a variety of litigation topics and has published numerous articles on the process of trying cases before a judge and jury. Chuck is also a Best Lawyers in America® and Super Lawyers honoree.
Before launching his practice, in 1986-1987 Chuck served as a federal Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Roger G. Strand, United States District Judge for the District of Arizona.
Chuck earned his law degree at Villanova University, where he was a staff member of the Villanova Law Review. He received his bachelor's degree from Hamilton College in Clinton, New York.
Outside the office, Chuck and his wife Jackie live vicariously through their two daughters, who play competitive tennis and excel academically. The Onofrys are avid fans of the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Cardinals.
- Certified Specialist in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death, Arizona Board of Legal Specialization
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Insurance Litigation, 2016-2018; Commercial Litigation, 2018
- Super Lawyers, 2015-present
- AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
- G. Duffield Smith Award, Defense Research Institute, 1994
Representative Trial Experience
- Won a $10.45 million jury award against the City of Phoenix
for negligent intersection design and maintenance that resulted in the death of a motorcyclist.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability claim against a national hotel chain by a plaintiff who was injured when he walked into a plate glass window.
- Successfully defended a Yuma homeowner who was sued by his neighbor for intentional trespass and invasion of privacy.
- Represented a school teacher who suffered a serious hand injury caused by an exploding vase at an employer-sponsored Christmas party.
- Represented a large Yuma farming group that suffered crop loss after a nearby levee failed due to structural damage caused by an uncontrolled gopher population at a nearby farm.
- Represented block wall and drywall contractors in a six-week construction defect trial.
- Successfully defended a roofing company against an indemnity claim by a general contractor that had settled a construction defect case.
- Defended a homeowner against claims that he illegally converted water from a local water company for use in his pond.
- Successfully defended a woman sued for tortious interference, theft and defamation by a former lover after she left the lover’s employment and joined a competing trucking company.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an orthopedic surgeon sued by a former employee for an alleged breach of employment agreement.
- Represented a national coffee-maker manufacturer in a $2 million fire subrogation claim.
- Defended a national equipment supplier in $5 million fire subrogation loss.
- Obtained a $1.3 million jury award for insurance bad faith against an insurer that wrongfully denied life insurance proceeds to a widow.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an employee who, after leaving an architectural firm to join a competing firm, was accused of theft, conspiracy and tortious interference of contractual relations.
- Obtained a $250,000 jury verdict for a former shareholder of an architectural partnership for the value of his minority partnership interest.
- Successfully defended an architect and his architectural firm against an alleged copyright violation in preparing plans for a regional grocery chain.
- Obtained an award for the family of a pastor who was defamed by a church leader, who wrongfully convinced the pastor’s daughter that her father had molested her.
- Defended a surviving spouse who was accused by the children of her deceased husband of financially exploiting him during his fatal illness.
- Defended the sole beneficiary of a trust from claims by his sister that she was excluded as a beneficiary due to his undue influence and mother’s lack of testamentary capacity.
- Represented a former girlfriend and business partner of a hair salon owner who deprived her of her share of profits.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a regional trucking company and one of its drivers after they were sued for the alleged wrongful death of a pedestrian struck in the middle of a roadway.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a long-haul truck driver who was unable to control his truck under icy road conditions and rear-ended the plaintiffs’ vehicle.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a long-haul trucking company that was sued for a plaintiff’s personal injuries allegedly caused by the truck driver not timely placing warning devices after he pulled to the side of a roadway.
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- State Bar of Arizona
- Defense Research Institute: Trucking Law Committee
- Arizona, 1989
- Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1993
- New York, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1997
- Law Clerk, Hon. Roger G. Strand, U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- J.D., Villanova University, 1986: Law Review; Scribes Award for Outstanding Legal Writing
- B.A., Hamilton College, 1982