If you are considering contacting a divorce lawyer in Yuma, Arizona, you might be thinking about divorce and might be wondering what your next steps should be. Or maybe your partner has told you that he or she wants a divorce and you want to learn more about steps you can take to protect your rights. Schneider & Onofry, P.C. are divorce lawyers in Yuma, Arizona who can help you every step of the way. The important thing is to seek help. What are some things you can do to prepare for your first meeting with Schneider & Onofry, P.C., divorce lawyers in Yuma, Arizona? Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Bring tax returns and any bank statements that show your assets and debts. One of the most important things you’ll need to work out in your divorce is dividing assets and debts with your former spouse. Even if you don’t have many assets, if you and your former spouse share a bank account, you may need to take steps to protect your money and your financial health. Tax returns and bank accounts can also give the divorce attorneys at Schneider & Onofry, P.C. a good idea about your financial situation. This information can be used to estimate child support amounts and even alimony amounts.
- Bring any prenuptial agreements you may have made with your ex. If you and your ex signed a prenuptial agreement, this agreement can have a major impact on your divorce proceeding. Schneider & Onofry, P.C. are divorce attorneys in Yuma, Arizona who can review your prenuptial agreement, help you understand whether it is enforceable, and work with you to find the best possible divorce settlement given your prenuptial agreement.
- Retirement funds and investments. Bring documents showing retirement funds and other investments. Splitting retirement funds will require that very specific steps be followed, depending on the type of retirement fund you have or the type of investment you’ve made. Failing to do this right could leave you or your ex with a significant tax burden, so bringing information about investments and the type of investments you have can be helpful. Schneider & Onofry, P.C. can help you understand how to best divide retirement accounts and investments, and our firm can assist you in determining the potential tax burden you might face when splitting these accounts.
- Mortgages and Deeds. If you own property or share a house with your partner, one of the biggest questions you’ll need to ask is how the family home will be handled during your divorce. Information about your mortgage, how much you pay each month, and how much you owe, can make a difference in how your divorce settlement agreement will be handled. Bring this information to your initial meeting with Schneider & Onofry, P.C., a divorce lawyer in Yuma, Arizona, so you can begin to learn more about what the next steps might be when it comes to handling your family home during your divorce.
- Debts. Bring information about any other liabilities or debts or your spouse might have. Debts that you both share may either need to be paid off, or the payment of these debts must be considered when your divorce agreement is being signed. Schneider & Onofry, P.C. are divorce lawyers in Yuma, Arizona who can look at your assets and liabilities and help you understand your rights and options under the law. We can also look at student loan debts to determine whether these debts are shared or separate.
- Criminal Records or Police Reports. If you have a restraining order against your ex, or if your ex has a criminal record, or if you had to make a police report against your ex due to violence, domestic abuse, or due to any other issue, you may want to bring this documentation to your initial meeting with Schneider & Onofry, P.C. Our Yuma, Arizona divorce attorneys can look over this information and help you understand your rights and understand how this information might impact your parenting plan.
- E-mails, Letters, or Text Messages. If you think there is any relevant information in emails, text messages, or letters that your lawyer should know, consider bringing this information to your initial consultation.
- Medical Records. If your spouse has a mental illness, addiction, or other illness that could impact his or her ability to care for your children, this information may be helpful when drafting your parenting plan. Bring any medical records that might be pertinent to your initial meeting with the divorce attorneys at Schneider & Onofry, P.C.
- Reflections on Your Goals. Before your initial meeting with Schneider & Onofry, P.C., divorce lawyers in Yuma, Arizona, you may want to take some time to reflect on your goals for your divorce. Do you want to keep the family home? Do you want physical custody of the children? Schneider & Onofry, P.C. are divorce attorneys in Yuma, Arizona who can go over your goals with you, and help you understand your rights and options going forward.
If you are considering getting divorced, you may want to speak to a divorce lawyer as soon as possible. Schneider & Onofry, P.C. are divorce attorneys in Yuma, Arizona who work closely with individuals who are thinking about divorce. We can help you with all aspects of the divorce process, from filing paperwork to reaching a divorce settlement that works for you and your family.